Tuesday, March 31, 2020

Adventures in the with Kitchen with Babs

Social distancing has evolved into a stay at home directive, which is pretty much how I have lived my life the past two weeks and will continue to live until the curve flattens.
There is an abundance of time to read ebooks and even time to do tasks around the house. One of those jobs that I tackled last week was to clean out my freezer.  Today, I share what I did with a couple of discoveries.

In the very back of the freezer was a jar of homemade cranberry sauce.  Cranberry sauce is one of the easiest things to make, if you are a fan of the chunky kind.  I think I was the only one to enjoy it that past Thanksgiving.
There was also some leftover phyllo which I’m sure I used to make something but I have no memory of what it was.
What could I make, a cranberry tart or something?
The gauntlet was thrown down and I arose to the challenge of making that something.

First, this lazy baker took layers of that phyllo and slapped them into a buttered pie dish.
Next came the filling.  Languishing in the fruit drawer were three apples, getting soft in their old age.  Those three ancients were peeled and chunked and thrown together with some of that sweetened cranberry sauce, which had hints of cinnamon, and then all was dumped on top of that thin pastry.
Lastly, was the most labor intensive part of my endeavor.  Butter was cut into a spiced flour and sugar mix and crumbs were made to sprinkle on top of the fruity concoction.

I popped that dish into the oven and and very soon, was rewarded with the aroma of a creation that teased at the possibility of being something delicious.

How did it taste? It smelled heavenly but I have no idea since I haven’t tried it yet.  You can always ask later.
But, if it is a fail, I have ice cream in the freezer.






No comments:

Post a Comment