Saturday, October 29, 2016

Bear That In Mind, Part One

Sometimes I wonder why my brain just doesn't implode. There are facts upon facts stored in there and even more useless trivia. It's a great day when I have that 'why did I walk in here' moment and can actually remember. And yet, I still enjoy learning even more new facts.

In the previous post I mentioned the phrase, bear that in mind. I first heard this used by Micky Nolan. Micky was our wonderful bus driver and tour guide during a visit to Ireland fifteen years ago. It was reminder to hang onto a nugget of information that would be explained later in his most Irish way. My knowledge of fairy trees is forever burned in my brain because of Micky.

I had also mentioned the land grant, Chews Resolution, the site of Avoca House, built by Arthur Pue. Online genealogy tells me that Arthur's mother was Mary Dorsey, the daughter of Caleb Dorsey, of Belmont. Having a prominent Howard County name, Dorsey, guaranteed success in finding these family members of old. So, we have a link between Avoca and Belmont.
Somewhere along the way, Caleb Dorsey became owner of Chews Resolution. When, why and how?

Caleb's son, Edward Dorsey, was married to Henrietta Maria Chew great great granddaughter of Colonel Samuel Chew, my 9th great grand papa, of Anne Arundel County fame. (More free facts from the internet genealogy.) Did Caleb buy it as a wedding gift for his son? Who knows?

What I do know now is that the builder of Avoca, Arthur, is possibly a cousin, somewhere between 3rd to 8th with probably just as many times removed, far away enough to make my head hurt.

And, I think I can safely say that Chews Resolution likely did stay in the family, or at least the cousin's family, if in a roundabout way.

More next time.

No comments:

Post a Comment