Monday, October 31, 2016

Bear That In Mind, Part Two


My home is in the Granite area of Baltimore County. I have been here nearly thirty eight years.
Some people have not heard of it so I just tell them I am sort of southwest of Randallstown, very near the county line at the Patapsco River.

There is a road closure less than two miles from my house. Part of a retaining wall supporting a small section of Woodstock Road was washed away in the same storm that sent a devastating flood through Ellicott City in July. One detour route to Howard County has me traveling along Marriottsville road, crossing the Patapsco River further west. It is a rural and winding way through a quarry and past a gun club firing range. A section of the Patapsco River State Park, McKeldin area, is accessed from this road. There is a small but genuine rapid on the river here, maybe the only one, that is easy to get to.

Today's bear in mind thought has to do with a child of ancestors William Chew and Sidney Wynne. Daughter Ann, my 7th great grandmother, married a fellow by the name of Christopher Randall. Christopher and his brother Thomas apparently operated a tavern on what was then known as the Liberty turnpike, the beginnings of Randallstown, sometime in the early 1700s. Land deeds online indicate that he must have been prosperous since he acquired other parcels of land. One of special interest is "Good Fellowship", a land grant from Lord Baltimore, its patent even mentioning the falls of the Patapsco as a reference point in the survey. Has me wondering if the falls are the present day  rapids mentioned above. And if I may have hiked in his woods.

Woodstock is just across the bridge from Granite where there is a lovely old farm called Mount Pleasant, the home of "Patuxent Ranger" Thomas Browne and his descendants. It is now the Howard County Conservancy, an environmental education center. I have tramped through the farmland there. Acreage from "Good Fellowship" became part of Mount Pleasant. And I have learned how. Christopher's son Aquila was willed this land. Aquila married Margaret Browne, daughter of Thomas.

Unbelievable.
It seems I am spun from a spider's web of ancestral family relationships.
And, unbeknownst to me until just now, I returned to one of the cobwebs decades ago.


No comments:

Post a Comment